Tuesday, February 8, 2011

In Plato's Cave summary

While reading "In Plato's Cave", I did struggle to get through it at first.  But one main thing that stuck out to me was on p.8, "Recently, photography has become almost as widely practiced an amusement as sex and dancing - which means that, like every mass art form, photography is not practiced by most people as an art. It is mainly a social rite, a defense against anxiety, and tool of power."  I always thought that photography was just an art. I did not realize that to some people it can be something more meaningful.

Another part that caught me was on p.16 "Like the dead relatives and friends preserved in the family album, whose presence in photographs of neighborhoods now torn down, rural places disfigured and made barren, supply our pocket relation to the past." When I read this part, it made me think about how much has changed over the years. Photographs are like still memories that can be looked back on and remember the good times even if the present isn't what you expected it was going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment